Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Plucking a dog's ear hair

You might ask really? People do that?

I can not even tell you (am I am not even a groomer) but how many times we have had dogs come in for grooming at Doglando, and how bad of a shape/condition they are in. If that's not bad enough, how many groomers have no idea that some dog's have to have their ears plucked. I don't know if this is something that is unknown to them (I doubt it is the case), or if they just don't know how to manage the dog to be able to do it safely, or maybe they would rather not put up with it.

So, I thought I would share with you all a dog that came in today, severely matted all over the body, eyes, face, ears, under the paws, I mean all over. I was on the computer working on stuff, when I hear the dog yelp, and I look up, and our groomer is holding up this big matt, from inside the dogs ear. I could not even believe this. So, I asked her to wait while I went and got the video camera.... her is the remaining in action.



We had a customer once, who was so upset at us for plucking the dogs ear hair. We had explained this to them and told them it was something that had to be done, and although it may be slightly painful, it would not be in comparison to the relief it would provide the dog. Also, it would solve the problem they had with their dog rubbing his ears on the carpet so hard that sometimes it would bleed also preventing any ear infections.

The procedure if done by a professional dog groomer, is surprisingly so simple, fast and most of the time pain free. Those dogs that come to us on a regular basis don't even flinch when their hair is plucked.

Our groomers tell me its like plucking our eyebrows, we get used to it. Its one thing to be plucking our eyebrows for looks, but imagine the relief the dog would feel being that we are talking about hair in the ear that will result into matts.

2 comments:

Denise CZ Esperanca said...

Wow, of all my years since I was born of loving dogs, I must admit I had not heard about plucking a dog's ear hair! So interesting, and it makes a lot of sense! I wonder if it's necessary to do it to cats also...furry cats, like ours.
Thank you for the great info! I will pass it on!
Denise

doglando said...

I don't know about cats, but I will ask our groomers and let you know.

It's crazy isn't it.