Friday, December 10, 2010

Baby and Dog Story Con't

This is not a baby and dog story, its a youth and dog story but I think you will appreciate it.

Last weekend, I went home to visit my grandfather who has been in the hospital for a couple weeks now. One of my aunt's from England was also there for the same reason.

In the evening we were sitting in the living room, and she was telling me how devastating it was for their family to have recently lost their dog. She has two sons, the older one about 12 years of age.

The night they had to be put Sheba down, they told their son she was not doing well and that they were going to take her to the vet. He was there with her prior to them leaving for the vet. He was completely aware of Sheba's condition, and of course to him she did not look well at all. She had injured her spine (don't quite know how.... possibly genetic) and was in convulsions when they found her laying on a rug upon returning from work.

He must have looked up at his parents and saw the expression on their face, they obviously were really afraid of what had happened.

As a child, who was so attached to this dog, and loved him so dearly... this dog was his best friend and they practically grew up together; I am sure he felt helpless.

My aunt continued the story, telling me that her husband rushed her to the vet at which time there was no other option for them but to let her go. While at home, and in anticipation to bring her home, my cousin asked his mum what was going on. Of course, she was not really prepared for all this, and her motherly instinct was to protect him by telling him everything was going to be fine and that she would return. But she knew, that was unlikely.

When my uncle called home to inform them of the doctors recommendation, they thought it would be best to allow my cousin to say bye to her. This was a difficult decision for the parents, but I think the right and best one. My aunt went on to tell me how my cousin just cried and cried, holding on to Sheba and embracing her begging her to wake up and go home with them.
They finally pulled him off Sheba and walked him out.

As we talked about this, I told her that many parents would not allow for their children to be a part of this. I am not a parent, but I think it is so important that a child is allowed the opportunity to experience this. It fosters communication about passing on, coping, becoming stronger, detaching in a health manner, building attachments in a healthy manner and most of all I told her.... don't you think he already knew what was going on.

In my opinion, I thought he was so well aware of the outcome, but trusted his mum when she said, it will all be okay and she will come home. That trust is huge! So is the betrayal for some kids.

As months have gone by, he still tears up when talking about his Sheba Dog.... but he has coped very well and wants to adopt another dog. His parents on the other hand, are quite hesitant about this; wanting to protect him from ever having to experience the loss of another dog or pet.

A child knows when they are ready.... they know a lot more than they can verbalize.... from infancy to adolescence... they are smart creatures.

What a valuable experience for a child to be a part of, especially a young boy. He got to show compassion, care, love and give hugs without feeling like only girls do that!

Thanks for sharing this story Seju and Shrey.... remember:

We do not remember days; we remember moments.

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." - Robert Byrne

“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.” - Dr. Haim Ginott

And just another one of my favorites:

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way. - Unknown

No comments: