Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Last Quote from My Dog Tulip

Remember the post from last week... the one on My Dog Tulip?

The Associate Producer of the Movie commented on our blog post, and shared with me the last on-screen scrolling quote that I could not find anywhere.... thank you Deanna Twain, I appreciate your visit to our blog.

Here it is:

"What strained and anxious lives dogs must lead, so emotionally involved in the world of humans, whose affections they strive endlessly to secure, whose authority they are expected unquestioningly to obey, and whose mind they can never do more than imperfectly reach and comprehend. Stupidly loved, stupidly hated, acquired without thought, reared and ruled without understanding, passed on or put to sleep without care, did they, I wondered, these descendants of the creatures who, thousands of years ago in the primeval forests, laid siege to the heart of man, took him under their protection, tried to tame him, and failed – did they suffer from headaches?"

She also reminded me of two of my other favorite quotes from the movie:

Referring to Tulip the German Shepherd in the movie:

"She offered me what I had never found in my life with humans; constant, single-hearted, incorruptible, uncritical devotion, which it is in the nature of dogs to offer. She placed herself entirely under my control."

"Looking at her sometimes in her later years I used to think that the Ideal Friend, whom I no longer wanted, perhaps never wanted, would have had the mind of my Tulip, always at one’s service through the devotion of a faithful and uncritical beast. Are not all human contacts based upon one person’s wish to claim the affairs of another? Everyone, it seems, wishes everyone else different from what they are."

Leaves you in quite some deep thoughts, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Dogs4all said...

The movie is good the book is wonderful!