Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Dog Tulip

A friend/client of ours first told me about the movie My Dog Tulip (playing at the Enzion in Maitland). Based off a book she had read, by an author she just loves, she said I had to watch it.

Not at all a movie buff; I mean the type that falls asleep at the previews... before the movie has even begun... I thought to my self, how in the world was I going to stay up to watch this. Needless to say, convinced by a couple of our other friends and my husband, we all went.

Filled with the most real dog/pet owner experiences amplified and exaggerated with great humor and the utter real truth of some matters of dog ownership... this movie is a must watch for all.

"“She offered me what I had never found in my life with humans: constant, single-hearted, incorruptible, uncritical devotion, which it is in the nature of dogs to offer.”

You must be up for some British humor though... some around us were appalled, others barely hanging on to their seats, while t I tried to memorize all the great lines such as this one:

"Dog's read their world through their nose, and write their history in urine" .... how clever is that!

The movie is about a German Shepherd named Tulip, that was rescued and become the love of the author's life. His commitment to allowing her to fulfill her life as a dog, and never to allow her anything that will loose her dignity as a dog, he was made every effort and was determined to ensure an existence of perfect happiness for his dog.



I can not find anywhere on the Internet, the last on-screen scrolling quote... which was in itself is profound, tear jerking and a reminder of the mistreatment that goes on with ownership of these delightful souls.

Definitely not 101 Dalmatians.... every movie made with dogs in it or for that matter, an animal should be required to incorporating such truth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Teena,
I am the Associate Producer of My Dog Tulip and I so appreciated your kind words in your blog, I thought I'd send you the final lines of the screenplay:
14-02 Ackerley, in lip-sync: She offered me what I had never found in my life with humans; constant, single-hearted, incorruptible, uncritical devotion, which it is in the nature of dogs to offer. She placed herself entirely under my control.
• He rises from his bench turning in the opposite direction of the departing Ideal Friend. The camera pulls back to reveal the two aging figures walking further apart in their separate ways. Ackerley stops in his track, to finish his thoughts.
14-03 Ackerley, in lip-sync: Looking at her sometimes in her later years I used to think that the Ideal Friend, whom I no longer wanted, perhaps never wanted, would have had the mind of my Tulip, always at one’s service through the devotion of a faithful and uncritical beast. Are not all human contacts based upon one person’s wish to claim the affairs of another? Everyone, it seems, wishes everyone else different from what they are.
• Our camera tilts above the scenery where the London sky appears heavy with the promise of rain. Ackerley finishes his departing thoughts as old B&W photographs of Ackerley or Tulip or both together appear on screen.
14-04 Ackerley V.O.: What strained and anxious lives dogs must lead, so emotionally involved in the world of humans, whose affections they strive endlessly to secure, whose authority they are expected unquestioningly to obey, and whose mind they can never do more than imperfectly reach and comprehend. Stupidly loved, stupidly hated, acquired without thought, reared and ruled without understanding, passed on or put to sleep without care, did they, I wondered, these descendants of the creatures who, thousands of years ago in the primeval forests, laid siege to the heart of man, took him under their protection, tried to tame him, and failed – did they suffer from headaches?
• Film credits scroll upwards.

The End
from Deanna Twain