Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rescue Tuesdays


Dog Marked "NEXT" to Die Gets Surprise Visitors

The Great Animal Rescue Chase is delighted to bring you this extraordinary story of how the simplest acts of love can yield the most tremendous rewards. What happens when someone stops to take a look at the nameless dog in a shelter whose only marker is the one that indicates that he is "next" for euthanasia? This is one story you won't soon forget.

By Karen Gleason of New Hampshire

My dog Abby had recently passed away and my other rescued dog, Copper, was visibly as sad as I was. He didn't want to eat or even play in the yard without his companion. I had been taking Copper along with me to visit shelters and dog pounds for a couple of weeks. I looked into many sad eyes, but no one had spoken to me, yet.

One Saturday morning, we had only an hour or so before we had to go to a friend's wedding, but my husband and I stopped by a humane society in the next town. As my husband looked at the dogs in the first few cages, I immediately went to the end of the row, not knowing why. I looked into the last cage, and I got my first glance of Ben. I couldn't really tell what kind of dog he was, but he was very big (about 90 pounds), cowering in the back corner, and shaking. His black fur was so knotted that it formed dreadlocks all over his body. His elbows were covered in thick, raw sores. I looked on his name tag to see if any more information was listed, but besides his name, there was only one word: NEXT.

Was He "Unadoptable"?

I got a leash and coaxed him gently out of the cage and guided him past my husband to the man on duty. My husband looked at me, wondering what I was doing, but he knew me well enough to be able to tell what was on my mind. The man explained that Ben had been there for three days, but that was long enough for them to determine Ben was unadoptable. He would be put down that afternoon, as he certainly wasn't going to find a home, no matter how long he was there.

I was told that he was surrendered by his former owner because "he was a pain" and was about one and a half years old. They guessed he was a mix between an Irish Setter and a Black Lab.

I then went to talk things over with Copper. He hadn't been overly receptive to any of the other new prospective brothers or sisters I had introduced him to. I looked into his eyes and pleaded with him to give this dog a chance, and that he really needed to come home with us. Copper gave Ben the once-over and wagged his tail in approval.

The Love We Shared....Priceless. More Photos

I told the man at the counter I would take him. He asked me if I was sure I wanted him. I told my husband to give him the $35 adoption fee, and we were on our way home.

Well, Ben was a very heavy breather. He smiled and panted loudly all the way home. After his bath, I couldn't get the knots out of his coat, and most of his fur had to be shaved.

Well, he spent the next 12 years keeping me company, taking care of me when I was sick, bringing me on great adventures and showing me how grateful he was that I brought him home that day. Copper and he were the best of friends. In twelve years Ben never asked anything more of me than to be by my side. I am convinced that dogs are the most noble and loyal of all God's creatures. There is no doubt in my mind that I did not save Ben or any of the others. It was me who was saved.

The image above is one of Karen's favorites and depicts her daughter Bailey with Ben

No comments: