Thursday, February 14, 2013

Working at Doglando




Doglando was a start of a new chapter in my life that guided me to a direction where i wanted to go since my childhood, but wasn't sure how to get there. Ever since my first dog I knew that working with animals was the career choice for me.  What I didn't know was if it was the right career choice.

As I grew up, I looked at common careers such as careers in the automotive or in the computer field and I picked up an interest in the computer IT program. After taking couple of classes in college that were interesting I started to question if this is the for me. This question didn't come up in my mind till after my first week of working at Doglando.

Prior to working at Doglando I had a great experience working with dogs at another daycare in my hometown that planted the seed, to grow the interest I have for love of dogs.  Doglando was the water and sun to give it the strength. At Doglando I learned to connect with dogs at a higher scale by understanding their behaviors and personalities.  This was taught to me by staff members and by me taking the time to observe the dogs movements. 

At that moment in my life, I knew that this field was the right fit for me. Theres is still so much for me to learn and I know I will keep wanting to learn more. Watching animals interact or just simply live always caught my curiousity because physically they are very different from us but we share the sa,e emotions and characteristics 

One of my favorite memories at Doglando happened recently when I was in the back field with all the dogs watching the bond of two best friends unfold. There is a rottweiler and a husky that were playing together with a toy ball and somehow the Rottweiler bit the toy ball and got it stuck to her bottom jaw. As I was approaching to assist her, to get it off as she was unsuccessful on her own, the husky was laying down watching.
Before I could get to the Rottweiler, she had already looked to her best friend for help. The Rottweiler walked to the husky with the ball still stuck to her bottom jaw and began to nudge her head on the husky as if she was asking the husky to help her out. It seemed to me that the husky got some entertainment out of it for a few seconds because she just keep laying there as the Rottweiler keep nudging her. Finally the husky used her front two paws to hold the toy so the Rottweiler could walk backwards and pull the toy out. The Rottweiler was so happy that she just rolled all over the husky as if she was giving her a big hug and thanking her. Witnessing that bond between those two dogs made me think of how we are no different from them besides physical appearance. 

Whenever I'm stuck in a situation, I look to no one other than my best friend. Animals have been on this planet for a long time, so learning about them can give us the opportunity to learn more about ourselves. Thats all it took for me to be convinced that this is the right career choice for me and that Doglando is the right place for a dog because theres no better feeling than to know that someone will always have your back when you need it the most. We all know where we want to be in the future but sometimes we just dont know how to get there. Whether its becoming a trainer to your own dog or just simply having a bestfriend to have fun with by taking classes or just listening and observing, we can all prosper and become enriched here at Doglando.

Yours, 
Eddy


2 comments:

Susan Vergara said...

Eddie I loved reading your beautiful story. You are awesome and I know Willow thinks so too! If you want to read a good book about the human-dog relationship read "Bones Would Rain From the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier. It's a beautifully written book about the human-dog relationship and the numerous things we can learn from observing dogs. Best of luck with your career choice. It sounds perfect for you and is a choice I wish I had made myself! Susan V.

Anonymous said...

We're all glad you're there, Eddy. Even the rotten husky loves you. Nicole told me about the ball incident, but she didn't tell me Suka tortured her buddy a little bit first. Thanks for the real scoop! -- Lynn