Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rescue Tuesdays

Rescue Tuesday by Janie and Jenn

As previous foster moms of a number of dogs, both of us have often been asked how we could foster and "give them up". This poem answers that question - we are the bridge - and we know that going in - we could not possibly keep them all (our husbands would certainly not let us!!!)

A POEM TO MY FOSTER DOG

BY Diane Morgan

I am the bridge,
Between what was and what can be.
I am the pathway to a new life.

I am made of mush,
Because my heart melted when I saw you,
Matted and sore, limping, depressed
Lonely, unwanted, afraid to love.

For one little time you are mine.
I will feed you with my own hand.
I will love you with my whole heart.
I will make you whole.

I am made of steel.
Because when the time comes,
When you are well, and sleek,
when your eyes shine,
And your tail wags with joy
Then comes the hard part.

I will let you go-not without a tear,
But without a regret.
For you are safe forever--
A new dog needs me now.


Ten Commandments for Responsible Owners (from your dog)


1. My life is likely to last about 10 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your
entertainment. I only have you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice and when it's speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not
getting the right food, I've been in the sun too long or my heart may be getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old. You too, will grow old.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier
for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

Author Unknown

No comments: